Benutzer
Herkunft: Ocholt
Homepage: rocknroll-schallpl…
Betreff:

JIMMY DEMOPOULOS

· 
Gepostet: 07.07.2010 - 14:41 Uhr  ·  #1
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - SUN

verflixt - wieder keine Info's gefunden...

Collagen von rockinpete...

Hardi
Anhänge an diesem Beitrag
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - IF I HAD MY WAY_IC#001.jpg
Dateiname: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - I … #001.jpg
Dateigröße: 101.05 KB
Titel: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - IF I HAD MY WAY_IC#001.jpg
Information: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - IF I HAD MY WAY
Heruntergeladen: 219
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - HOPELESS LOVE_IC#001.jpg
Dateiname: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - H … #001.jpg
Dateigröße: 110.49 KB
Titel: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - HOPELESS LOVE_IC#001.jpg
Information: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS - HOPELESS LOVE
Heruntergeladen: 226
Benutzer
Herkunft: Berlin
Betreff:

Re: JIMMY DEMOPOULOS

· 
Gepostet: 07.07.2010 - 15:13 Uhr  ·  #2
Hallo Hardi, der nannte sich später auch:

Jimmy Damon is proud to be a saloon singer. He has been gigging around Chicago since 1971, when dim candles and long playing records still stood for something. Damon has played the Empire Room. Mister Kelly's. Venues all over the world. When Bill Murray was at Second City, one night after work he dropped into That Steak Joynt to catch Damon's last set. Murray morphed Damon into "Nick the Lounge Singer" for "Saturday Night Live." Murray knows saloon singers.

Jimmy Damon! On this CD "The Jimmy Damon Way," the swingin' Mr. D. is not afraid to tackle the rhythm and blues of Lou Rawls ("You'll Never Find"), the Brazilian shuffle of "Girl From Ipanema" and even Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline." A great saloon singer knows no limitations. Damon tells me he likes Neil Diamond because of his "haunting lyrics and sound." I've heard Diamond described a thousand ways, but "haunting" is the voice of a saloon singer at last call.

"Saloon singers are down with the elements of life," Damon says. "They are telling a real story." The 13 songs on "The Jimmy Damon Way" tell the story of Jimmy Demopolous, a self-made native of Memphis TN. His father Nick ran the New York Cafe, a 24-hour/last call restaurant about a mile from the birthplace of the Stax Records soul label. Damon changed his name to Damon in 1968 and split for Chicago three years later.

These songs are postcards from the past 33 long playing years: "Summer Wind", "Chicago," "Nice and Easy," (a dramatic, loungey) "The Way You Look Tonight" and only Mr. D. would have the cajones to rearrange Tony Bennett's impeccable "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." The songs are all done the Jimmy Damon way, an appropriate sense of style mixed with Southern audacity.

If Elvis had been a saloon singer, he would have been Jimmy Damon.

When Damon arrived in Chicago, one of his first gigs was at the, now defunct, Cousin's Club, a 1970s nightspot for subterranean swingers in the basement of Benihana of Tokyo, 166 E. Superior. Damon sang pop covers of Lou Rawls' "Lady Love" and Peter, Paul and Mary's "Leavin' on a Jet Plane." Alan King and Count Basie are a couple of the big shooters who would drop into the Cousin's Club when they were in town. Damon played the room for three years. This is where he learned to become a singer.

"I learned how to concentrate, because the crowds didn't pay attention when I started," Mr. D. told me a few years back. "I learned how to get into the lyric and how to present myself. It takes a long time. I learned how to phrase, I learned how to stand. I learned how to look you in the face and tell you a truth. An audience can spot a phony anytime. And what I've learned over the years is that I'm fallible.....You just realize you're real." This is how Damon endeared himself to Chicago, America's biggest real town. Mayor Harold Washington once went to see Damon sing at Navy Pier. He left with a big smile on his face, saying, "Entertainers like Jimmy Damon have helped maintain Chicago's image as a swingin' town." Christie Hefner is a fan who attended Damon's 1995 "My Way: Jimmy Damon Sings Sinatra" concert at Park West. Kup and Essie loved Mr. D. So does Stella. The CD's title comes from a stretch of street that the city recently named in tribute to Chicago's finest saloon singer. I think you'll feel the same way after listening to "The Jimmy Damon Way."
Benutzer
Herkunft: Hannover
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 21.05.2011 - 18:49 Uhr  ·  #3
Hallo,

etwas Text:

Jimmy Demopoulos, Sänger, seit Februar 1958 für Phillips International mit Sid Manker-g, Cliff Acred-b, Keith Vann-d, Charlie Rich-p
3537 Hopeless Love (McEwen)
3537 If I Had My Way (Kendis-Klein)

Jimmy Demopoulos wurde in Memphis/Tennessee geboren. Sein Vater Nick betrieb das 24-Stunden Restaurant, The New York City. In seiner unmittelbaren Nähe gründete sich Jahre später das Soul-Label Stax Records.
Der 14jährige Jimmy kam zu einem frühen Erfolg, als er bei Sam Phillips in seinem Heimatort im Februar 1958 zwei Titel aufnehmen konnte, die auf Schallplatte erschienen. Bill Justis hatte den Teenager singen gehört und bei Sam Phillips zu einem Aufnahmetermin vorgeschlagen. Bei den Aufnahmen saß Charlie Rich am Geflügel und es wird sogar gemunkelt, dass The Jordanaires für den Begleitgesang dabei waren, was allerdings von hier infrage gestellt wird. Die weiteren Session-Musiker kamen aus dem Umfeld von Bill Justis. Zwei weitere Titel aus der Februar-Session blieben unveröffentlicht, ebenso wie drei weitere Songs, die am 01. Oktober 1958 aufgenommen wurden.
Bereits als 16jähriger war der junge Jimmy Co-Gastgeber in der TV-Shoe “The Big Beat“ und bald konnte er stolz auf einen ersten eigenen Fan-Club sein. Das Motto des Clubs lautete: „push Demop to the top“.
1968 wechselte er seinen Namen und nannte sich fortan Jimmy Damon und er entwickelte sich zum Cabaret-Sänger. 1971 verließ er Memphis und wechselte nach Chicago, "the greatest one-night city in America", um dort in den Clubs Karriere zu machen.

Gruß
Dietrich
Benutzer
Herkunft: Bonn
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 18.11.2019 - 21:39 Uhr  ·  #4
eine Pepper-Single und in den 60ern als Jimmy Damon
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS
Dateiname: Demopoulose3.jpg
Dateigröße: 161.38 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 151
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS
Dateiname: Damon1.jpg
Dateigröße: 100.78 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 179
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS
Dateiname: Damon4.jpg
Dateigröße: 58.56 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 187
Benutzer
Herkunft: Wien
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 21.11.2019 - 14:10 Uhr  ·  #5
Kurz-Bio:
Der Sänger Jimmy Damon wurde am 27. April 1938 als Jimmy Demopoulos in Memphis, Tennessee, geboren und verstarb am 27. April 2013, an seinem 75. Geburtstag, in Chicago, Illinois.
Seine Singles:
PHILLIPS INT.
02 59....3537....JIMMY DEMOPOULOS..Hopeless Love (P - 339)/If I Had My Way (P - 340)
PEPPER
?? 60....918....JIMMY DEMOPOULOS Orchestra Conducted by LARRY GORDON..Love Is Never Out Of Season (P-1057)/C'est La Vie To Me (P-1058)
RING-A-DING
?? 63….RD-708….JIMMY DAMON..Blame It On My Youth (RD-708A)/Wanted (RD-708B)
DECCA
11 68….32412….JIMMY DAMON Vocal With Orchestra Arranged By MARTY MANNING..Young Hearts, Young Hands (120,787)/I'm Still Not Thru Missin' You (120,788)
02 69….32460….JIMMY DAMON Vocal With Chorus And Orchestra Arranged And Conducted By MARTY MANNING..That's The Way It Was (121,132)/I'm All I Need (121,130)
08 69….732541….JIMMY DAMON Vocal With Chorus And Orchestra Arranged And Conducted By ARTIE BUTLER..Only A Fool (Would Lose You) (7-121,752)/JIMMY DAMON Vocal With Chorus And Orchestra Arranged And Conducted By MARTY MANNING..On My Own (7-121,131)

Keep Searchin'
Gerd
Benutzer
Herkunft: Bonn
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 25.12.2021 - 13:49 Uhr  ·  #6
Pepper komplett
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS
Dateiname: Demo1a.jpg
Dateigröße: 99 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 64
JIMMY DEMOPOULOS
Dateiname: Demo1b.jpg
Dateigröße: 96.73 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 64
Gewählte Zitate für Mehrfachzitierung:   0

Registrierte in diesem Topic

Aktuell kein registrierter in diesem Bereich

Die Statistik zeigt, wer in den letzten 5 Minuten online war. Erneuerung alle 90 Sekunden.