Benutzer
Herkunft: Kassel
Homepage: ralfs-radio-blog.b…
Betreff:

HEARTBREAK HOTEL - Elvis Presley / Dt. Werner Overheidt

· 
Gepostet: 13.01.2008 - 12:08 Uhr  ·  #1
Hallo,
bin neu hier und das ist mein erster Beitrag. Klasse Seite! Mal sehen, ob ich für die "alten Hasen" hin und wieder was brauchbares beisteuern kann. Da ich nicht alle Foren studiert habe, bitte ich um Nachsicht (äh, kenn ich schon usw.).

Original:
Elvis Presley:
Rca 47-6420 (1956) Germany
Heartbreak Hotel/I was the one

Deutsche Coverversion:
Overheidt, Werner
Philips 344857 (1956 oder 1957)
Hotel zur Einsamkeit/Und es weht der Wind (Wayward wind)

Meines Wissens war das die erste deutsche Elvis-Coverversion.
Ralf Bendix landete den erfolgreicheren Nachzieher:
Hotel zur Einsamkeit/Du hast dich nicht einmal umgesehen
Electrola 8609 (lila Label)

Es folgen erstmal zwei Scans zur Visualisierung:
Eine US-EP vom "King" und eine schöne EP von Werner Overheidt, auf der das Hotel zur Einsamheit besungen wird.
Anhänge an diesem Beitrag
Overheidt, Werner Philips 423199.jpg
Dateiname: Overheidt, Werner Ph … 3199.jpg
Dateigröße: 165.86 KB
Titel: Overheidt, Werner Philips 423199.jpg
Information: EP von Werner Overheidt
Heruntergeladen: 385
Presley, Elvis EPA 821 (US-EP).Jpg
Dateiname: Presley, Elvis EPA 821 (US-EP).Jpg
Dateigröße: 204.54 KB
Titel: Presley, Elvis EPA 821 (US-EP).Jpg
Information: Original (eins von vielen)
Heruntergeladen: 387
Benutzer
Herkunft: Hamburg
Betreff:

Re: HEARTBREAK HOTEL - Elvis Presley / Dt. Werner Overheidt

· 
Gepostet: 13.01.2008 - 22:53 Uhr  ·  #2
Hallo single45rpm,
ersteinmal willkommen im Forum :mrgreen: Ich freue mich auf möglichst rege Beteiligung hier :D

Du zeigst hier zwei sehr schöne EP's - zumindest die Werner Overheidt habe ich auch in der Sammlung 😉

Es gab noch eine weitere Coverversion dieses Elvis Songs von Ralf Bendix - die finde ich auch sehr gut.

rockige Grüße,
big-bopper 8)
rockin-smileys.gif
Dateiname: rockin-smileys.gif
Dateigröße: 6.82 KB
Titel: rockin-smileys.gif
Heruntergeladen: 296
Benutzer
Herkunft: Bonn
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 10.11.2009 - 13:08 Uhr  ·  #3
Ist ja nun schon lange her seit Ralf´s erstem Beitrag.
Darum hier die 78 RPM von WERNER (VON) OVERHEIDT
mit dem berühmt-berüchtigten HOTEL ZUR EINSAMKEIT
(sollte jemand die Originale haben, verschwindet der
gefischte Scan..).
Overheidt,Werner01Schellack Philips P 44857 H HotelZurEinsamkeit.jpg
Dateiname: Overheidt,Werner01Sc … keit.jpg
Dateigröße: 77.3 KB
Titel: Overheidt,Werner01Schellack Philips P 44857 H HotelZurEinsamkeit.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 343
Benutzer
Betreff:

Hotel zur Einsamkeit - 78rpm

· 
Gepostet: 11.11.2009 - 01:59 Uhr  ·  #4
Hallo Dieter,

ein 78er Original habe ich schon, nur ist es von Ralf Bendix auf Electrola. Und um ehrlich zu sein, mir gefällt die Bendix-Version auch besser.

Gruß Ralf
Electrola EG 8609A - 78rpm.Jpg
Dateiname: Electrola EG 8609A - 78rpm.Jpg
Dateigröße: 341.07 KB
Titel: Electrola EG 8609A - 78rpm.Jpg
Heruntergeladen: 327
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 11.11.2009 - 09:34 Uhr  ·  #5
Ralf, ich teile Deine Meinung!

Darf ich unverschämterweise noch etwas zu Mae Boren Axton anhängen?

Die holländischen Rockabilly-Seiten von Dik De Heer schreiben folgendes,
das aus dem englischen Magazin NOW DIG THIS entnommen wurde:

MAE BOREN AXTON
(By Colin Kilgour)

Born, 14 September, 1914 Bardwell, TX
Died 9 April, 1997 Nashville TN Buried Hendersonville Memory Park, Hendersonville, Sumner County, Tennessee

Mae's immediate and obvious claim to fame in the world of rock and roll, is as co-writer of 'Heartbreak Hotel', Elvis' first single on RCA, following his move from Sun Records

There was however a lot more to Mae, a canny character on the Florida scene

A multi-faceted lady, Mae played a crucial part in the game plan that launched the career of Elvis Presley

She hosted her own radio and TV slots and in addition to journalism, wrote several hit songs during the 50s. Around the time Elvis was getting his start with Sam Phillips at Sun, Mae did some PR for Col. Parker. This involved radio, TV and newspaper work for Parker's package shows when they went through Florida

Mae says Bob Neal asked for her assistance to get Elvis onto a Parker tour. This would help Neal in his objective to convince Elvis that he had the necessary clout to represent him well

It was at this time that Mae taped her radio interview with Elvis (28 July, 1955 in Jacksonville) when she was instrumental in slipping Presley and his boys onto the show which Hank Snow was headlining

Some six months later the Presley classic 'Heartbreak Hotel' written by Mae, Tommy Durden and 'Elvis' was committed to eternal wax

It was the debut Elvis release on his new RCA label. And of course it was a massive hit which marked Presley's transition from a local southern sensation to a national phenomenon and it built on the foundation begun by Bill Haley's 'Rock Around the Clock' to establish rock and roll as a musical force that wasn't going to go away

Elvis, The King of Rock 'n' Roll had ascended to his throne

Mae had some 14 previous 'rock' numbers that had been on the charts and around 200 numbers recorded in all and she 'steered' Elvis towards Parker's management

Axton had written several songs before with Durden and it was he who pointed out an article regarding a suicide. The man destroyed all his I.D. and left a one-line note "I walk a lonely street". A discussion ensued, as did the question "Doesn't everyone have someone who cares?"

The pair decided to write a song around the tragedy and in a flash of creative inspiration, it was Mae's suggestion to locate a heartbreak hotel at the end of that lonely street

Glenn Reeves however, who often wrote with Mae and Tommy appeared on the scene and soon declared the new title "the silliest I ever heard". He declined to help out on the song and went to do some errands

Reeves did later demo the song after Durden's own attempt was judged by Axton as too sweet and gentle - she wanted some 'edge'

Still Reeves declined to accept a third credit because he hadn't changed his opinion that the song was 'extremely silly' and didn't want his name connected with it. Major howler time

Somehow, instead of what could have been Reeves, Elvis' name appeared as co-writer with the other two. This appears to have been pay-back by Mae for Elvis pushing for the song to get its eventual prominence. More specifically Mae says it was her gesture/promise made good to help Elvis fund a move to Florida for his parents

Therefore this is a variation on the later Parker machinations to have his Boy's name, share writers' credit on several songs

Jorgensen says Mae was in the studio in Nashville on10 January, 1956 when the song was laid down

Elvis had arranged a meeting with Axton in the city some time before and was immediately taken by the new song ........ Mae had made good her promise to write him a winner. Another of Mae's contacts was Steve Sholes at RCA, so serendipity really was in her corner back at that crossroads in recording history

When she met Elvis, Mae was a little over 40 and teaching English at High School in Jacksonville, where her husband was the football coach. Her brother David, later became a prominent U.S. Senator from Oklahoma

Arriving in Nashville, Mae met Minnie Pearl who introduced her to the influential Fred Rose. Axton quickly wrote a song for Rose's forthcoming Dub Dickerson session. She hooked up with Col. Parker in 1953 and claimed to be the only person to her knowledge, to get an apology out of him

He used his "The Colonel is the Boss" line on her and not liking the context, she angrily responded "You be the Boss, be the big wheel but don't ever ask me to do anything for you". This led to the Colonel apologising and despite this incident, maybe because of it, they then got along very well! She was energetic and resourceful and proved an excellent local PR woman

To add a little spice and controversy, here's some extracts from the writings of biographer Donald Clarke:

"The sound quality of that first session was not good, and 'Heartbreak Hotel' is the worst of them all. Chet Atkins played rhythm guitar and Floyd Cramer was added on piano, together with an entirely unnecessary vocal trio led by Gordon Stoker, lead singer of the Jordanaires. Scotty Moore's guitar sounds exceptionally, irritatingly tinny, Cramer is too prominent and the whole track sounds like it was made underwater in a breadbox. It was a disgraceful recording for 1956 but a good song for Presley

Despite its shortcomings, 'Heartbreak Hotel' reached all three Billboard charts in March. It was number one for eight weeks in the pop chart and for seventeen weeks in the country chart, and a number three R&B hit

Think of it: one of the biggest, most famous hits of all time, recorded in January and in the charts less than forty-five days later. And this was already well into the age of tape recording, overdubbing, reverberation and all the rest"

Jorgensen tells us that Sam Phillips pronounced the finished product "a morbid mess".

But Elvis clearly believed in it. The heavy overlay of echo and D.J.'s rim shots created a powerful, emotion-laden atmosphere of upbeat despair

On hearing the new sides, Steve Sholes' superiors in New York wanted him to turn around and head straight back to Nashville to re-record the tracks and this time to get a sound closer to that of the Sun label product

In the event, time was of the essence and the RCA 'brass' did relent and press ahead with the release, albeit with considerable misgivings. It proved of course to be a complete smash, taking only a matter of weeks to sell close on a million copies

Another point of interest is that (no doubt to the frustration of Sholes) Mae held firm against Hill and Range's approaches to secure the publishing of 'Hotel'. She had promised it to Buddy Killen at Tree Publishing and if you check your CD packaging, you'll see that's where it remains credited to this day

Some of Mae's other hit songs: Honey Bop - Wanda Jackson (the title cleverly reversing the old thing of Bunny Hop) I Won't Be Rockin' Tonight - Jean Chapel Falling in Love - Warner Mack Rock-a-Boogie-Lou Glenn Reeves and items recorded by artists as diverse as Perry Como and Ernest Tubb

Mae did continue to write songs through the 60s and 70s and also taught college and high school

In spite of overtures from Elvis, Mae never did supply him with another song. There were possibilities but as she felt she couldn't 'top' Hotel, she wouldn't settle for next best. Ironically, shortly before his death, a new Axton/Durden song 'It Takes A Little Time' might just have made it. Elvis planned it for his next session but fate decreed it would never take place

Mae reached a very creditable 82 years of age and all in all, had quite a life

It seems appropriate to give a nod to Mae's son Hoyt (born on March 25, 1938 in Oklahoma) weaving in a little more connected to Mae

Singer, songwriter, actor Hoyt became an actor with TV guest parts (McCloud, Bionic Woman), films followed incl. The Black Stallion '79, E.T. '83, Gremlins '84

Signed with his mother's CPI label '92, album Spin The Wheel '93. Elvis Presley recorded 'Never Been To Spain', thus recording songs by both mother and son

Prior to becoming a Nashville music industry legend, Mae was a school teacher, a mother of two sons and wife to their father, John T. Axton, also a teacher and high school athletics coach

Under his father's guidance, Hoyt became a sixty-minute football player at Robert E. Lee High in Jacksonville, Florida, playing both offence and defence. His athletic ability was such that he made All State and won a football scholarship to Oklahoma State University. Mae made sure that the inner-man was not neglected, though, making Hoyt take classical piano lessons until his preference for the guitar surfaced. Ironically, however, Hoyt credits his music career as much to John T. as he does to Mae: "He was a singer and he loved to sing, although never professionally, he had this wonderful baritone voice, and he sang all the time. So I learned to love singing from my father and to love songwriting from my mother..."

In 1963, the Kingston Trio had a near Top 20 hit on the US charts with Greenback Dollar, which Hoyt co-wrote with fellow folk singer Ken Ramsey. The song also made the Billboard charts on three different Kingston Trio albums during the sixties. However, the financial reward never came, and Hoyt made a mere $800.00 from the song. "After I got ripped off as a writer on 'Greenback Dollar', I didn't go into a blue funk and walk around crying that everyone's crooked," Hoyt says of the experience. "I've always been an optimist, and I'm going to stay that way until I die. I think I get that from my mother, who could go up to the devil himself and she'd say 'Hello, young man, you're a lovely shade of red, but you're a naughty boy'. With 'Greenback Dollar', I had a crooked publisher, and that was when I'd only been in the business a year, so I didn't know anything - I was just a kid with a guitar living in a car. How could I sue when the whole point of the song was how I didn't give a damn about a greenback dollar!!?"

Hoyt died aged 61, on 26 Oct. 1999 at his home in Montana, coincidentally just days after Tommy Durden (aged 79)

Other songs Hoyt wrote included "Joy To The World," "Della And The Dealer," "When The Morning Comes," and "Never Been To Spain" for Three Dog Night but later covered of course by Elvis

Axton's "The Pusher," was recorded by Steppenwolf and immortalised in the movie Easy Rider. He was survived by his wife, Deborah, and five children http://www.sixcats.com/axton/hoyt2.htm

And it's nice that Mae's grandson, Mark Axton, Hoyt's son, has released a CD full of songs "What's in a Name?", all self-composed

Aside from where credited within the text, several lines of this article taken from Peter Guralnick's 'Last Train to Memphis' and a larger proportion from Stuart Colman's Radio London interview from summer 1980, as printed in the August 2003 issue of the highly recommended magazine 'Now Dig This'. My thanks to NDT Editorissimo Trevor Cajiao, for permission to use that info.

Go see www.nowdigthis.co.uk

Colin Kilgour: Sept. 2003

Und WIKIPEDIA zeigt einen Auszug aus AXTONs Buch:
Country Singers as I Know 'Em by Mae Boren Axton; Sweet Publishing Co, 1973; 384 pages

Axton was also the link between Elvis Presley and RCA Records; she states in her 1973 artist biographies, Country Singers as I Know ‘Em, that she introduced the Colonel to a 19-year-old Presley after Elvis promotor in Memphis, Bob Neal contacted her about helping Elvis as Neal was closing his promotion business. Additionally, she "hounded" RCA’s Nashville division head, Stephen H. Sholes, to sign Presley.[5]

Mae tells of the day in 1955 when she and a disc jockey and accomplished musician from Jacksonville named Tommy Durden wrote Heartbreak Hotel. Durden actually got the idea after reading Miami Herald story about a man who had cut the labels off his clothing and destroyed all documents that could identify him, then left a one-line suicide note: "I walk a lonely street", before killing himself. She said that she reacted as strongly as Tommy did to this devastating end to a life. When she finished reading, Mae stated to Tommy that everyone has someone who cares, and when those who love him learn of his death, they'll be broken-hearted, so let's put a Heartbreak Hotel at the end of that lonely street. Tommy responded with, "That would make a good song." They both said let's write it! About that time another of their song writing friends, Glenn Reeves(one time director of Wheeling, West Virginia Jamboree) walked into the room and was invited to co-write the song, but declined. Twenty minutes later the song was on tape, Reeves returned heard it and was not impressed but agreed to do an Elvis like demo for the pair. The wheels were turning for a history making song.

Mae first sent the song to Bob Neal insisting it could be Elvis first number one hit, but Elvis wouldn't hear it for awhile. Mae also had to go to Daytona on business later that week to meet with the Colonel and while there she meet with another friend, bass player, Buddy Killen who was trying to start a publishing company in Nashville. He loved Heartbreak Hotel as did his partner, Grand Ole Opry Show Director,Jack Stapp. Heartbreak Hotel would be a founding song for a hugely successful publishing company called Tree, which would later be known as Sony Tree. Mae headed to the Disc Jockey Convention in Nashville with her extra copy of Heartbreak Hotel and a tape player. She found Bob Neal and Elvis in the lobby and ask Elvis if had heard the song yet. He said he had not and Bob stated that he had not played it for Elvis yet, so she invited him and Neal up to her room to hear Heartbreak Hotel. Elvis loved the dark brooding song. The change of management to the Colonel and a new label to RCA ushered in the success of the King of Rock n' Roll and of an unassuming educator who wouldn't take no for an answer - never - ever - if she believed in it! [5]

Momma Mae wrote some 200 songs, 14 of which made the charts, with "Heartbreak Hotel" being number one on the pop chart for 8 weeks, the country chart for 17 weeks and reaching number 3 on the R&B chart.
Benutzer
Herkunft: Wien
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 11.11.2009 - 11:45 Uhr  ·  #6
Hier die Original-Version des deutschsprachigen "Heartbreak Hotel" als 45er vom September 1956. Overheidt wurde erst im November angeboten. Ich kann natürlich nicht ausschließen, dass es bei den 78ern vielleicht umgekehrt war, aber in dieser Zeit waren die Veröffentlichungsdaten von 78ern und 45ern meist gleich.
Und noch etwas patriotisches: Die österreichische Fassung
Keep Searchin'
Gerd
k-heartbreak hotel 2.JPG
Dateiname: k-heartbreak hotel 2.JPG
Dateigröße: 74.48 KB
Titel: k-heartbreak hotel 2.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 303
k-heartbreak hotel 1.JPG
Dateiname: k-heartbreak hotel 1.JPG
Dateigröße: 50.89 KB
Titel: k-heartbreak hotel 1.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 317
Benutzer
Betreff:

Hotel zur Einsamkeit

· 
Gepostet: 12.11.2009 - 01:15 Uhr  ·  #7
Hallo,

als erstes erlaube ich mir die Electrola 7 MW 17-8609 (das ist die 45er von Ralf Bendix) hier noch mal einzustellen, zwecks besserer Lesbarkeit. Meine Platte ist, so steht es in der Auslaufrille, "Made in Germany" ...
Electrola 7 MW 17-8609.Jpg
Dateiname: Electrola 7 MW 17-8609.Jpg
Dateigröße: 283.35 KB
Titel: Electrola 7 MW 17-8609.Jpg
Heruntergeladen: 384
Benutzer
Betreff:

Hotel zur Einsamkeit 2

· 
Gepostet: 12.11.2009 - 01:30 Uhr  ·  #8
... dann, lieber Gerd, möchte ich Zweifel anmelden. Du schreibst, das Ralf Bendix den Titel als deutsche Originalversion zuerst aufgenommen habe. Erstmal ist doch auffällig, daß beide Versionen (auch die mit Werner Overheidt) mit der gleichen Begleitgruppe, nämlich dem Orchester von Adalbert Luczkowski, aufgenommen wurden. Bendix war ja für seine Nachzieher bekannt (vgl. auch Freddy - "So geht das jede Nacht"). Werner Overheidts zweite Single (Philips 344857 - Hotel zur Einsamkeit) entstand am 12. September 1956 im Bruno-Saal in Köln. Diese Information steht in einem sehr ausführlichen Artikel über Werner Overheidt in "Memory" (Heft 44, Januar/März 1993, S. 4ff.). Der Autor ist kein Unbekannter: Dietrich Heitz. Vielleicht sagt uns der ganz freundlich, welche deutsche Coverversion nun wirklich die erste war? Es folgt noch meine 45er von Werner Overheidt ("Made in Holland").

Gruß Ralf
Overheidt, Werner - Philips 344857 PF.Jpg
Dateiname: Overheidt, Werner -  … 7 PF.Jpg
Dateigröße: 280.79 KB
Titel: Overheidt, Werner - Philips 344857 PF.Jpg
Heruntergeladen: 338
Benutzer
Herkunft: Wien
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 12.11.2009 - 07:47 Uhr  ·  #9
Hallo Ralf!
Meine Daten beziehen sich lediglich auf Folder, in denen die jeweilige Platte angeboten wurde. Über die Aufnahmedaten habe ich keinerlei Aufzeichnungen. Aber du hast Recht, Dietrich könnte wahrscheinlich genaueres darüber sagen
Keep Searchin'
Gerd

PS: Weil du "Made in Germany" erwähnst, mit dem Patriotischen habe ich natürlich die MASTERTON gemeint
Benutzer
Herkunft: Hannover
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 23.11.2009 - 11:29 Uhr  ·  #10
Hallo Ralf,

der Ehre zu viel.
Will trotzdem etwas versuchen:

Ralf Bendix
5. Juli 1956 im Electrola-Studio, Maarweg 149, Köln

Dazu noch eine Abb.

Gruß
Dietrich
Bild-02.jpg
Dateiname: Bild-02.jpg
Dateigröße: 247.73 KB
Titel: Bild-02.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 284
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 28.10.2016 - 16:34 Uhr  ·  #11
Elvis hatte kurz auf Platz 95 der deutschen Charts vorbeigeschaut (Juni 1956).
Presley,Elvis196.jpg
Dateiname: Presley,Elvis196.jpg
Dateigröße: 86.64 KB
Titel: Presley,Elvis196.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 302
Gewählte Zitate für Mehrfachzitierung:   0

Registrierte in diesem Topic

Aktuell kein registrierter in diesem Bereich

Die Statistik zeigt, wer in den letzten 5 Minuten online war. Erneuerung alle 90 Sekunden.