Benutzer
Herkunft: Hannover
Betreff:

BETTY SMITH QUINTET

· 
Gepostet: 15.12.2010 - 11:24 Uhr  ·  #1
Hallo,

Smith Skiffle, Betty
(Betty Smith-tenor sax, vocal, Brian Lemon-piano, Jack Peberdy-bass, Stan Bourke-drums, Barry Phillips-guitar, Terry Walsh-guitar),

eigentlich eine Jazz Band,
1957 eine Skiffle-Schallplatte für Tempo A 162

Gruß
Dietrich
Benutzer
Betreff:

Re: BETTY SMITH (Großbritannien)

· 
Gepostet: 16.12.2010 - 12:38 Uhr  ·  #2
Aus alten Heften ...

Dietrich
Anhänge an diesem Beitrag
K800_Bild-107.JPG
Dateiname: K800_Bild-107.JPG
Dateigröße: 79.05 KB
Titel: K800_Bild-107.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 251
Benutzer
Herkunft: Berlin
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 19.09.2016 - 03:48 Uhr  ·  #3
na hier sieht's für fast 6 Jahre Forum, ja noch ziemlich mau aus 😢
smith back_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Dateiname: smith back_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Dateigröße: 211.33 KB
Titel: smith back_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 219
smith front_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Dateiname: smith front_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Dateigröße: 206.5 KB
Titel: smith front_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 212
Benutzer
Herkunft: Bonn
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 19.09.2016 - 06:59 Uhr  ·  #4
Tempo-EP
image.jpeg
Dateiname: image.jpeg
Dateigröße: 35.95 KB
Titel: image.jpeg
Heruntergeladen: 229
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 11.07.2018 - 15:22 Uhr  ·  #5
Hallo,

schon wieder fast zwei Jahre vergangen.

Diskografische Hinweise

TEMPO (GB)
09 1957 EXA 74 BETTY SMITH‘s SKIFFLE
A1: Lulu's Back In Town
A2: Sweet Georgia Brown
B1: There'll Be Some Changes Made
B2: Little White Lies

10 1957 A 162 BETTY SMITH‘s SKIFFLE There's A Blue Ridge Round My Heart Virginia / Double Shuffle
10 1957 A 163 BETTY SMITH QUINTET Sweet Georgia Brown / Little White Lies

LONDON (USA)
00 1957 45-1763 BETTY SMITH‘s SKIFFLE There's A Blue Ridge Round My Heart Virginia / Double Shuffle
00 1958 45-1787 THE BETTY SMITH GROUP Bewitched / Hand Jive

DECCA (GB)
00 1957 DFE 6446 BETTY SMITH QUINTET The Betty Smith Quintet
A1: There's A Blue Ridge Round My Heart, Virginia
A2: Who's Sorry Now
B1: Everything Is Peaches Down In Georgia
B2: Because My Baby Don't Mean Maybe Now

00 1958 45 F 10986 THE BETTY SMITH GROUP Bewitched / Hand Jive
03 1959 45 F 11124 BETTY SMITH with THE MALCOLM LOCKYER GROUP Song Of India / Stormy Weather

LONDON (GB)
00 1959 PS136 Betty Smith(ts)& her group My Foolish Heart
Side1
My Foolish Heart
Down Among The Sheltering Palms
Sleepy Lagoon
The Faithful Hussar
Autumn Nights
Maria,My Own

Side2
Indian Summer
Song Of The Boulevards
Galway Bay
Blues Blues
Forgotten Dreams
Bewitched

Gruß
Heino
Quintet.jpg
Dateiname: Quintet.jpg
Dateigröße: 24.25 KB
Titel: Quintet.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 162
Betty.jpg
Dateiname: Betty.jpg
Dateigröße: 17.41 KB
Titel: Betty.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 175
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 11.07.2018 - 15:41 Uhr  ·  #6
Hallo,

hier ein Nachruf aus der britischen Presse:

The Independent Friday 28 January 2011
Betty Smith: Saxophonist and singer hailed for her improvisational panache

It was rare to find a woman jazz musician in the Fifties. Even more rare to find one who played hotter jazz than her colleagues. The tenor saxophonist Betty Smith was one such.
„There was a trombone tradition in my family,“ she said. „They were all trombonists except me. I would have been one too, but my arms were too short.“
Wartime austerity still lingered in 1950. The uniforms of the musicians in trumpeter Freddy Randall's Dixieland/Chicago-styled band looked more appropriate to attendants at a caravan park than to a leading jazz band. Certainly they did Betty Smith no favours, and when we first saw her on stage she looked chunky and without glamour. And then she played...

Randall's band toured the well-worn circuit of one-nighters covered by trad and Dixieland bands around Britain. The audiences felt sentimental about New Orleans jazz and it was a time for mawkish, tear-stained clarinet rather than efficient and swinging saxophone. In fact, Betty's was virtually the only tenor sax ever seen on the circuit. With the exception of those led by Humphrey Lyttelton and Chris Barber, the bands were mainly technically inept. But in Randall's band the standards were much higher and while he was a trumpet virtuoso Betty Smith swung and improvised with all the panache of her American counterparts Bud Freeman and Eddie Miller.

Unlike the callow youths of the trad bands, Betty Smith had a professional career behind her before she turned to small-group jazz. She'd begun playing the alto sax when she was nine in Archie's Juveniles and began concentrating on jazz in her early teens.
In 1947 she had toured the Middle East with pianist Billy Penrose and then joined Ivy Benson's evening-gown clad Girls' Band. She had flown to Germany to play for officials off duty from the Nuremberg trials and in 1948, at the very beginning of the Berlin Airlift, she was flown into the city with Rudy Starita's All Girls Band to play for the troops.
„I'm still owed 40 quid for that gig,“ she sniffed.

In 1950 she joined Randall's band and a few years later went to the States with the band in exchange for Louis Armstrong's visit to Britain. Randall became ill soon after and broke upthe band in 1957. Betty Smith then formed her own quintet, which included her husband, the bassist Jack Peberdy, and another jazz virtuoso, the pianist Brian Lemon.

Her trip to the States had whet her appetite and she returned with the quintet, touring on the same programme as Bill Haley's Comets. Her record of “Bewitched“ reached the American hit parade (# 50).

1958 Pop # 50 The Betty Smith Group Bewitched London 1787 Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers Einstieg: 30.06.1958 Peak: 07.07.1958

She proved skilled at finding work and the quintet played summer seasons in Guernsey and other places. The group had a residency on the liner Franconia and she played and sang – for she was a good vocalist – with the Ted Heath Orchestra. She did a lot of radio and television work and for a while had her own radio programme on Radio Luxembourg.
The high quality of her playing brought her into the orbit of another trumpet virtuoso, Kenny Baker, and they worked together often over the rest of her career. When Baker and two more ex-Ted Heath musicians, trombonist Don Lusher and drummer Jack Parnell, formed a sextet called the Best of British Jazz in the early 1970s she was a founder-member and remained the only saxophone player in the band until she became ill in 1985.

Baker waited until 1992 to see whether she would recover; when she did not he reformed the band. In the 1980s she appeared with Eggy Ley's Hotshots and at several jazz festivals, but her illness persisted and herhusband Jack looked after her for the rest of her days. She continued to sing and play the piano until a week before her death.

Gruß
Heino
Benutzer
Herkunft: Wien
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 12.07.2018 - 16:55 Uhr  ·  #7
Kurz-Bio:
Die britische Jazz-Musikerin (Tenor-Saxophon, Klavier etc.) und Band-Leaderin Betty Smith wurde am 6. Juli 1929 in Sileby, Leicestershire, geboren und verstarb am 21. Jänner 2011 in Kirby Muxloe, Leicestershire.
Ihre Singles:
TEMPO (GB)
08 57....45/A 162....BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE Betty Smith ( ts & voc ) Brian Lemon ( pno ) Jack Peberdy ( bass ) Stan Bourke ( dms ) Barry Philips ( gtr ) Terry Walsh ( guitar )..There's A Blue Ridge Round My Heart Virginia (45/Vog 1763)/BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE Betty Smith ( ts) Brian Lemon ( piano ) Jack Peberdy ( bass ) Stan Bourke ( dms ) Barry Philips ( gtr ) Terry Walsh ( gtr )..Double Shuffle (45/Vog 1764)
10 57....45/A 163....BETTY SMITH QUINTET Betty Smith ( ts & voc ) Brian Lemon ( pno ) Jack Peberdy ( bass ) Stan Bourke ( dms ) Barry Philips ( electric guitar )..Little White Lies (45/Vog 1762)/BETTY SMITH QUINTET Betty Smith ( ts ) Brian Lemon ( pno ) Jack Peberdy ( bass ) Stan Bourke ( dms ) Terry Walsh ( electric guitar )..Sweet Georgia Brown (45/Vog 1760)
DECCA (GB)
02 58....45-F 10986....THE BETTY SMITH GROUP..Hand Jive (DRF.24108)/Bewitched (DRF.24109)
06 58....45-F 11031....THE BETTY SMITH GROUP..Will The Angels Play There Harps For Me (DRF.24525)/Betty's Blues (DRF.24526)
10 58....45-F 11071....THE BETTY SMITH GROUP..Begin The Beguine (DRF.25095)/Song Of The Boulevards (DRF.24881)
03 59....45-F 11124....BETTY SMITH with THE MALCOLM LOCKYER GROUP..Stormy Weather (DRF.25665)/Song Of India (DRF.25666)

Ihre Singles in den USA:
LONDON
10 57....45-1763....BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE Vocal Chorus and Tenor Saxophone by Betty Smith..(There's A Blue Ridge In My Heart) Virginia (F - 1763)/BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE Tenor Saxophone by Betty Smith..Double Shuffle (F - 1764) (GB: TEMPO 162)
04 58....45-1787....THE BETTY SMITH GROUP..Hand Jive (DRF-24108)/Bewitched (DRF-24109) (GB: DECCA 10986)
07 58....45-1819....THE BETTY SMITH GROUP Accompaniment Directed By Malcolm Lockyer..My Foolish Heart (DRF 24763)/Betty's Blues (DRF 24526) (GB: DECCA -------/11031)
....."My Foolish Heart" wurde in GB erst 1959 auf DECCA EP DFE 6547 veröffentlicht

Keep Searchin'
Gerd

Aus dem Netz:
Betty Smith in den USA 2.jpg
Dateiname: Betty Smith in den USA 2.jpg
Dateigröße: 97.87 KB
Titel: Betty Smith in den USA 2.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 177
Betty Smith in den USA 1.jpg
Dateiname: Betty Smith in den USA 1.jpg
Dateigröße: 96.51 KB
Titel: Betty Smith in den USA 1.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 159
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 12.07.2018 - 18:25 Uhr  ·  #8
Hallo Gerd,
da gehe ich "mit d'accort" (vulgär latainisch).

Gruß
Heino
Benutzer
Betreff:

BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE

· 
Gepostet: 09.10.2021 - 11:41 Uhr  ·  #9
In England war auf Tempo Records BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE
in der Hochzeit des Skiffle unterwegs.

Die Sängerin und Tenorsaxofonistin wurde am 6. Juli 1929 in Sileby near Leicester
geboren und sie verstarb am 21. Januar 2011. Schon mit 15 Jahren hatte sie
sich dem All-Girl-Orchester von Rudi Starita in Deutschland angeschlossen,
später eigene Bands geleitet. 1949 lernte sie ihren späteren Mann, den
Bassisten Jack Peberdy kennen. Beide heirateten 1950. 1957 bis 1964 hatte
sie ihre Band, die auch gemeinsam mit Bill Haley and his Comets auftrat.
Auftritte führten sie bis nach Australien und Neuseeland.

Tempo A 162
BETTY SMITH (Großbritannien)
Dateiname: Smith,Betty1.jpg
Dateigröße: 166.05 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 107
Dateiname: Smith,betty2.jpg
Dateigröße: 110.46 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 100
Dateiname: Smith,betty2b.jpg
Dateigröße: 103.03 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 100
Benutzer
Betreff:

Re: BETTY SMITH'S SKIFFLE

· 
Gepostet: 09.10.2021 - 11:43 Uhr  ·  #10
Wiederveröffentlichung (2 CD)
mit 2 Songs

Disc 1
1. The Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group - Rock Island Line - The Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group
2. The Vipers Skiffle Group - Streamline Train - The Vipers Skiffle Group
3. The Ken Colyer Skiffle Group - Old Riley - The Ken Colyer Skiffle Group
4. Bob Wallis Washboard Beaters - Its Tight Like That - Bob Walliss Washboard Beaters
5. The Avon Cities Skiffle Featuring Ray Rush - Green Corn - The Avon Cities Skiffle Group
6. Beryl Brydens Backroom Skiffle - Kansas City Blues - Beryl Brydens Back Room Skiffle
7. Johnny Parkers Barrellhouse Four - Hold That Thing - Johnny Parkers Barrelhouse Group
8. The City Ramblers Skiffle Group - I Shall Not Be Moved - The City Ramblers Skiffle Group
9. Alan Lomax and The Ramblers - Railroad Man - Alan Lomax and The Ramblers
10. The Chris Barber Skiffle Group - Cant You Line em - Chris Barbers Skiffle Group
11. Clyde Valley Stompers - Old Time Religion - The Clyde Valley Stompers
12. Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys - Last Train To San Fernando - Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys
13. Alexis Korners Skiffle Group - Easy Rider - Alexis Korners Skiffle Group
14. The Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group featuring Nancy Whiskey - Freight Train - The Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group
15. The Vipers Skiffle Group - Dont You Rock Me Daddy-O - The Vipers Skiffle Group
16. Betty Smiths Skiffle Group - Theres A Blue Ridge Round My Heart, Virginia - Betty Smiths Skiffle Group
17. The Peggy Seeger Group - Cumberland Gap - The Peggy Seeger Group
18. The Ken Colyer Skiffle Group - House Rent Stomp - The Ken Colyer Skiffle Group
19. The Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group featuring Dickie Bishop - Worried Man Blues - The Lonnie Donegan Skiffle Group
20. Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys - Ella Speed - Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys

Disc 2
1. The Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group featuring Nancy Whiskey - Greenback Dollar - The Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group
2. The Peggy Seeger Group - Bring A Little Water Sylvie - The Peggy Seeger Group
3. Johnny Parkers Washboard Band - No. 69 - Johnny Parkers Washboard Band
4. The Chris Barber Skiffle Group - Where Would I Go - Chris Barbers Skiffle Group
5. Beryl Brydens Backroom Skiffle - Casey Jones - Beryl Brydens Back Room Skiffle
6. The Avon Cities Skiffle Featuring Ray Rush - This Little Light Of Mine - The Avon Cities Skiffle Group
7. The Vipers Skiffle Group - Pick A Bale Of Cotton - The Vipers Skiffle Group
8. The City Ramblers Skiffle Group (Featuring Ramblin Jack Elliott) - Midnight Special - The City Ramblers Skiffle
Group
9. Clyde Valley Stompers - Open Up Them Pearly Gates - The Clyde Valley Stompers
10. Betty Smiths Skiffle Group - Double Shuffle - Betty Smiths Skiffle Group
11. Alexis Korners Skiffle Group - I Aint Gonna Worry No More - Alexis Korners Skiffle Group
12. Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys - Get Along Home Cindy - Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys
13. The Peggy Seeger Group - Sail Away Lady - The Peggy Seeger Group
14. The Ken Colyer Skiffle Group - This Train - The Ken Colyer Skiffle Group
15. Lonnie Donegan - Jack O Diamonds - Lonnie Donegan
16. The Vipers Skiffle Group - Railroad Steamboat - The Vipers Skiffle Group
17. Alexis Korners Breakdown Group - Roundhouse Stomp - Alexis Korners Breakdown Group
18. Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys - Footprints In The Snow - Johnny Duncan and The Bluegrass Boys
19. The City Ramblers Skiffle Group - Boodle Am Shake - The City Ramblers Skiffle Group
20. The Chris Barber Skiffle Group - Doin My Time - Chris Barbers Skiffle Group
Dateiname: Avon2.jpg
Dateigröße: 42.14 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 102
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 09.10.2021 - 13:09 Uhr  ·  #11
BETTY SMITH
Ende der 70er Jahre
Dateiname: Smith,betty5a.jpg
Dateigröße: 65.4 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 109
Dateiname: Smith,betty5b.jpg
Dateigröße: 50.56 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 99
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 09.10.2021 - 13:11 Uhr  ·  #12
März 1959
Dateiname: Smith,Betty6a.jpg
Dateigröße: 102.95 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 96
Dateiname: Smith,Betty6b.jpg
Dateigröße: 104.92 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 109
Gewählte Zitate für Mehrfachzitierung:   0

Registrierte in diesem Topic

Aktuell kein registrierter in diesem Bereich

Die Statistik zeigt, wer in den letzten 5 Minuten online war. Erneuerung alle 90 Sekunden.