FRANKIE ELLIS

Benutzer
Herkunft: Wien
Betreff:

FRANKIE ELLIS

· 
Gepostet: 13.07.2013 - 20:00 Uhr  ·  #1
Frankie Ellis hieß mit zivilen Namen Frank Vasquez. Mehr weiß ich leider nicht über ihn. Mein zweites Handikap ist das REVOLVO-Label das in meinen Aufzeichnungen an der Spitze der fehlenden Nummernbelegungen steht. Es könnte daher theoretisch noch eine Menge Singles von Frankie Ellis alias Frank Vasquez geben, die ich bisher nicht erfassen konnte oder auch nicht.
Die mir derzeit bekannten Singles von Frankie Ellis:
REVOLVO
?? 60....RV-45-54….FRANKIE ELLIS..One Dream Too Many (Last Night)/RV-45-55….Lookin' For Trouble
?? 61….RV-45-86….FRANKIE ELLIS and THE ATRTIST'OS Session Directed by Lee Redman..Sincerely/RV-45-87….I'm Going Away (Delta-Nr.: 40620/-x)
?? 63....RV-45-125....FRANKIE ELLIS Session Directed by Lee Redman..Sincerely/Shake Lady Shake (86/ ?? )

Keep Searchin'
Gerd
Anhänge an diesem Beitrag
k-frankie ellis 2.JPG
Dateiname: k-frankie ellis 2.JPG
Dateigröße: 68.7 KB
Titel: k-frankie ellis 2.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 202
k-frankie ellis 1.JPG
Dateiname: k-frankie ellis 1.JPG
Dateigröße: 68.69 KB
Titel: k-frankie ellis 1.JPG
Heruntergeladen: 220
Benutzer
Herkunft: Bonn
Betreff:

Re: FRANKIE ELLIS

· 
Gepostet: 04.04.2018 - 10:23 Uhr  ·  #2
Frankie war auch noch mit der Seite "Cuernevaca" neben den
Ambertones mit "Hang Ten" auf Revolvo RV 45-135.

Die Revolvo RV 45-129 hatten wir oben noch nicht. Aber Gerd schrieb ja
auch, dass die Discographie des Labels ein wenig schwieriger ist und
einiges fehlen könnte.
Ellis,Frankie02a.jpg
Dateiname: Ellis,Frankie02a.jpg
Dateigröße: 26.19 KB
Titel: Ellis,Frankie02a.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 192
k-Ellis,Frankie04a.jpg
Dateiname: k-Ellis,Frankie04a.jpg
Dateigröße: 62.48 KB
Titel: k-Ellis,Frankie04a.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 205
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 04.04.2018 - 11:04 Uhr  ·  #3
Revolvo RV-45 127/128
Ellis,Frankie03b.jpg
Dateiname: Ellis,Frankie03b.jpg
Dateigröße: 87.98 KB
Titel: Ellis,Frankie03b.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 201
Ellis,Frankie03a.jpg
Dateiname: Ellis,Frankie03a.jpg
Dateigröße: 100.2 KB
Titel: Ellis,Frankie03a.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 217
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 31.05.2018 - 01:05 Uhr  ·  #4
Zitat geschrieben von Gerd Miller
...Mehr weiß ich leider nicht über ihn...

Hallo Gerd,
da kann ich vielleicht ein bisschen helfen. Ich habe Frankie nämlich 2014 mal interviewt. Das stelle ich gerne hier ein:

AG: Dear Frank, I hope you are fine. I got your address from your wife. She said, you would allow some questions about your early career as a musician in the 1960s. First – please excuse my English grammar, I am from Germany and surely will do many mistakes. The times, I am interested in, are 50 years ago, so perhaps you will not be able to answer all of my detailed questions, but I was very pleased, if you will try to share as many of your memories as possible. Okay?
Frankie Vasquez (FV): Okay, Andi, I will try.

AG: What is your real name, Frank?
FV: My name is Frank Manuel Vasquez. I also worked as Frankie Ellis, Frankie Olvera, Frankie Valens and under my signature name Frank Vasquez. I was born in Los Angeles, California on July 18, 1943.

AG: Do you remember the song “Huggie’s Bunnies”?
FV: The theme song “Huggie’s Bunnies” was recorded by Thee Ambertones. The radio show “Huggie’s Bunnies” which was hosted by Dick “Huggie Boy” Hugg was perceived by the band to be in need of a theme song. “Huggies Bunnies” written by “Andy Tesso” became the song and out of three recording from three different music groups, Thee Ambertones rendition got the airplay and was chosen to represent the show. The Blendells recorded one of the renditions in which the flip side song title is “La La La La La” which became a national hit song at the time.

AG: As far as I could research, you were a singer by the Ambertones. What was your part on the recording of that instrumental?
FV: I was the featured sax player in this rendition. My contribution to the Ambertones band is as follows, musician, guitar, sax, song writer, vocalist and band leader.

AG: Concerning your Lola 104 by Frankie Olvera with “Huggie’s Bunnies” and “Something Like Mr. C”: You were a member of The Ambertones at that time. Is Lola 104 the Ambertones’ version just credited to you or is there another record by the Ambertones?
FV: John Marascalco was our producer and manager at the time and co-managed us with Manuel Chavez of the Jaguars. They wanted to put the song “Huggies Bunnies” out quickly on Lola Records as well as the song by the Ambertones “Hang Ten”. They needed a solution to the problem of these two title songs potentially clashing against each other so they decided to split them up. “Huggie’s Bunnies” with Frankie Olvera became the title song on Lola Records. “Hang Ten” was released by Lola Records back in circa 64 or 65 and the flip side was “Charlena” by The Ambertones written by Manuel Chavez.

AG: I am very familiar with the song "Charlena". But is was not on Lola but on GNP Crescendo Records backed with "Bandido". I already had nice correspondence with Sharleena "Charlena" Romero and with Robert Rodriguez, the original writer before Manuel Chavez adapted it. I had also contact with Dan Medina, who told me an unbelievable story about the recording of "Charlena" by the Ambertones: John Marascalco brought Little Richard in, who joined the background girls by sreaming and yelling. Were you there? And can you confirm that story?
FV: When The Ambertones recorded “Charlena” we called in allot of girls to be present in the audience and we captured their screaming and shouting on the record. I have no recollection of Lil Richard being present.

AG: Tell me about "Hang Ten" by the Ambertones! I only know a release on Revolvo b/w your “Cuernavaca”.
FV: “Hang Ten” was the only surfer song The Ambertones recorded and you are right, it was not on the Lola Records label. This song was on the Revolvo records label circa 1964.

AG: What about the flip side of Lola 104 “Something Like Mr. C”: It is the same recording as on Lola 103 by the Young Lions. What is this connection about? Why is a recording of the Young Lions used as flip for your record. Were you involved in the Young Lions? Who are they?
FV: “Something like Mr. C” by the Young Lions just was something like a throw away song on that 45 RPM. I don’t know the Young Lions.

AG: A mis-spelled version of the label can be found on ebay and elsewhere. “Lolla” instead of “Lola” and “Marvilla” instead of “Maravilla”. Do you remember this misprint?
FV: No, I don’t remember.

AG: Does the record sell? Did you earn some money with Lola 104? How came the re-release on NRM Records?
FV: To this day as a band, solo vocalist or writer I have never had any monitory gain. I do not remember any re-releases. In 1961 or 1962, I appeared on Billboard and or Cash Box magazine. Please if you can research this I would really appreciate it because it would mean allot to me in sentimental value. Please let me know if you are able to find this magazine article.

AG: I read that you also recorded as Frank Ellis and on different records labels like Harmony, Revolvo, Goldstar and later MGM. Tell me about your career!
FV: My career began as a solo vocalist as Frankie Ellis on Revolvo Records. I recorded many songs under the names Frankie Ellis and Frank Vasquez. After a time as a solo artists in which I was billed as Ritchie Valens’ cousin as Frankie Valens, I started my first band, The Artistics, which recorded many songs for Revolvo Records. Then I initiated and began the band The Ambertones. I was a close friend with Bob Ross who was the CO of Harmony and Door Records. They represented the following artists, Jan and Dean, Skip and Flip, to name a few. Gold Star a major recording studio at the time in which many artists of the day were recorded as Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee and The Champs to name a few. I left the Ambertones in 66 and I gave permission to The Ambertones to record and play the song I wrote “A Million Tears” under the name Frank Vasquez, my signature name. My third band became The Cartunes band.

AG: I found your name at the BMI database. There are four songs registered: "Darlene", "Flag Pole Sitter's Holiday", "La Luna" and "Million Tears". "Million Tears" was recorded by the Ambertones, what happened to the other three songs?
FV: Yes, there was “Darlene”, “Lil Flower of Love”, “La Luna”, “Just a Memory” and many more songs that unfortunately I cannot remember. I don’t remember “Flag Pole Sitter’s Holiday” at all. I both Frankie Ellis and Frank Vasquez began recording at the age of sixteen with the Revolvo Records Label. “Little Flower of Love”, “Looking for Trouble”, “Shame Shame on You”, “I Had One Dream to Many Last Night”. These four songs were accompanied by Chuck Rio from the Champs and Al Viola guitarist. Drake Thorton and Skip Redwine were my managers and co-writers of our songs. I co-wrote “Lil Flower of love” with Drake Thorton.

AG: Is it right, that you sang background on the “Apostrophe” album by Frank Zappa?
FV: Frank Zappa invited me via the band, Ruben and the Jets, to his studio. At the time he needed a background singer for an album called “Apostrophe” in which I participated.

AG: Thank you, Frankie and all the best.
FV: You’re welcome, MFA, thank you for your interest. If there is any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.
lola_104_a_orange.jpg
Dateiname: lola_104_a_orange.jpg
Dateigröße: 29.89 KB
Titel: lola_104_a_orange.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 162
nrm_903_a.jpg
Dateiname: nrm_903_a.jpg
Dateigröße: 31.52 KB
Titel: nrm_903_a.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 165
revolvo_136.jpg
Dateiname: revolvo_136.jpg
Dateigröße: 78.42 KB
Titel: revolvo_136.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 200
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 31.05.2018 - 01:07 Uhr  ·  #5
...und noch die anderen erwähnten Platten...
lola_104_a_orange_lolla.jpg
Dateiname: lola_104_a_orange_lolla.jpg
Dateigröße: 30.7 KB
Titel: lola_104_a_orange_lolla.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 192
crescendo_329_a_white.jpg
Dateiname: crescendo_329_a_white.jpg
Dateigröße: 36.42 KB
Titel: crescendo_329_a_white.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 180
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 31.05.2018 - 11:08 Uhr  ·  #6
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 31.05.2018 - 16:02 Uhr  ·  #7
Hallo Andi!
Herzlichen Dank für deine super Interview-Niederschrift. Ich habe mit deinen Daten in altbewährter Weise - das ist keine Übertreibung, denn die Zeit fliegt dahin - eine Kurz-Bio erstellt und die Single-Disco völlig neu gestaltet.

Kurz-Bio:
Der Sänger, auch Saxophonist und Songwriter etc., Frankie Ellis wurde am 18. Juli 1943 in Los Angeles, Kalifornien, als Frank Manuel Vasquez geboren. Für diverse Einspielungen verwendete er auch noch die Pseudonyme Frankie Olvera und Frankie Valens. Etwa 1964 schloß er sich den Ambertones als Sänger an und half fallweise auch als Saxophonist aus.
Die Singles von und mit Frankie Ellis:
REVOLVO
?? 60….RV-45-54….FRANKIE ELLIS..One Dream Too Many (Last Night)/-55….Lookin' For Trouble
10 61….RV-45-86….FRANKIE ELLIS and THE ARTIST'OS - Session Directed by Lee Redman..Sincerely/-87….I'm Going Away (Delta-Nr.: -----/40620-x)
?? 63….R-45-125….FRANKIE ELLIS Session Directed by Lee Redman..Sincerely/-126….Shake Lady Shake (86/---)
?? 63….R-45-127….FRANKIE ELLIS Session Directed by Lee Redman..Acapulco/-128….Just A Memory
?? 63….R-45-129….FRANKIE ELLIS Session Directed by Lee Redman..End Of A Rain Bow/-130….Wait Baby
?? 64….R-45-135….THE AMBERTONES Session Directed by Lee Redman..Hang Ten/-136….FRANKIE ELLIS Session Directed by Lee Redman..Cuernavaca
LOLA (auch als LOLLA)
08 64....104....FRANKIE OLVERA..Huggie's Bunnies (LO-104-A)/Something Like Mr. C (LO-104-B) (Delta-Nr.: 53910/52110-x) (dann N-R-M 903)
104[/u])
G.N.P. Crescendo
09 64....GNP 329x....THE AMBERTONES..Charlena (N-2082)/Bandido (N-2083)
N-R-M
?? 65....903-A....FRANKIE OLVERA..Huggie's Bunnies/-B….Something Like Mr. C (LOLA 104)

Keep Searchin'
Gerd

The Ambertones aus dem Netz:
von links nach rechts: Jimmy Alvarez (Schlagzeug) und dahinter Eddie Delgado (Bass), Mike Sandoval (Gitarre), vor dem Mikrophon Frank Vasquez und Danny Medina (Vokal), Tony Cardenas (Saxophon) und Henry Hernandez (Gitarre)
Ambertones.jpg
Dateiname: Ambertones.jpg
Dateigröße: 167.06 KB
Titel: Ambertones.jpg
Heruntergeladen: 163
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 31.05.2018 - 23:38 Uhr  ·  #8
Danke Gerd und Dieter,

eine kleine Anekdote zur Charlena-Aufnahme von den Ambertones auf GNP Crescendo. Ich hatte das schon mal in einem Little-Richard-Forum erzählt, aber auch dort konnten wir den Wahrheitsgehalt nicht endgültig klären:

Der Sänger der Ambertones Dan Medina (auf dem Foto zusammen mit Frankie Ellis am Mikro) hat mir erzählt, dass ihr Produzent John "Good Goll Miss Molly; Rip It Up; Ready Teddy..." Marascalco sie eigentlich auf eines seiner Labels lotsen wollte und um Eindruck zu schinden, seinen alten Kumpel Little Richard zur Aufnahme von Charlena ins Studio eingeladen hatte.

Richard war wohl gut drauf und hat sich zu den Background-Screamers hinzugesellt. Es handelt sich um so eine Pseudo-Live-Aufnahme mit Calls und Screams im Hintergrund. Gleichwohl blieben die Ambertones ihrem aktuellen Label treu und kamen erst über Umwege (s. Bericht von Frankie Ellis oben im Interview) auf Marascalcos Lola Records unter.

Bei obiger GNP Crescendo könnte sich demnach um eine bisher nicht weiter beachtete Aufnahme mit LR-Beteiligung handeln, die auch unter den Sammlern und Spezialisten für den guten Mann aus Macon, Georgia bisher weitgehend unbemerkt blieb. Auch beim genauen Anhören lässt er sich jedenfalls nicht identifizieren.

Der Song Charlena ist ein Klassiker des Chicano-Rocks und steht sicher bei vielen als B-Seite der La-Bamba-Single von Los Lobos in der Singlekiste. Meine komplette 14-teilige Charlena-Sammlung ist auf Wikipedia https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlena einsehbar. Dan Medinas Anekdote konnte ich dort natürlich nicht unterbringen, da nicht offiziell verlautbart. Eigenrecherchen gelten bei Wikipedia nicht als gültige Quelle.

Gruß
Andi
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 10.12.2022 - 11:20 Uhr  ·  #9
Siehe #4 und #5
FRANKIE ELLIS
Dateiname: Olvera1b.JPG
Dateigröße: 106.56 KB
Titel:
Heruntergeladen: 73
Benutzer
Betreff:

· 
Gepostet: 10.12.2022 - 11:57 Uhr  ·  #10
Ich weiß nicht, ob das von Interesse ist, aber da der Titel ”Charlena" von Manuel Chavez in diesem Thread so oft genannt wird möchte ich darauf hinweisen, dass dieser Titel erstmals im Jänner 1961, also noch in ”meiner Zeit", auf dem Markt war und zwar von dem Doo-Wop-Quartett aus der newyorker Brox, den Cognac's.
ROULETTE
01 61....R-4340....THE COGNAC'S..Charlena (15704)/Heaven Only Knows (15705)

Keep Searchin’
Gerd
Gewählte Zitate für Mehrfachzitierung:   0

Registrierte in diesem Topic

Aktuell kein registrierter in diesem Bereich

Die Statistik zeigt, wer in den letzten 5 Minuten online war. Erneuerung alle 90 Sekunden.